On this Friday afternoon I am listening to our Puerto Rico television stations broadcast New York blizzard warnings.
I am also finalizing my to-do list for our beach barbecue tomorrow.
While my children sleigh ride vicariously through their cousins, in reality we will be slapping on some sunscreen and boogie boarding.
So, what’s on the menu? Burgers, hot dogs, a variety of salads, fruit and lots of homemade desserts.
Today I share with you my family’s favorite potato salad recipe. Since none of us are fans of mayonnaise, I made some changes based on something we love – baked potatoes.
BAKED POTATO SALAD
1 bag of red potatoes (2.5 lbs)
1 lb thick cut bacon.
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
salt, pepper and garlic powder
optional: spicy mustard
- Wash and chunk red potatoes
- Boil potatoes until soft, but still firm
- Drain potatoes and allow to cool completely
- Fry bacon to very crisp
- Cut bacon into small pieces
- Grate 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese
- When potatoes and bacon are cooled, gently fold together potatoes, sour cream, cheese and bacon. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- If you like a little extra zip, stir in some spicy mustard
Enjoy this as a side with any meal that you would normally serve potatoes (steaks, burgers, barbecue chicken, pulled pork, meatloaf)