Hilton Head Island Top Ten
Welcome to 10 posts on why we LOVE Hilton Head Island! This vacation spot has become a family favorite for decades and with every visit, I find it harder and harder to leave. While the “We LOVE list” could have gone on and on – we have narrowed it down. Today, enjoy our sandy escapades along the Atlantic Ocean.
I’m a sucker for the beach. Any beach. Any time of year. Hot. Cold. Turquoise waters. Gray skies. It doesn’t matter – I love the salty smell, the sound of the waves and the sand between my toes. Over the years we have visited beaches all over the world.
So, What makes the beaches on Hilton Head Island so spectacular? (I mean, really, how can you top a camel?) Well, it is a variety of things all put together.
- SAND. The sand is really firm. Hard enough to run or ride a bike on.
Great for acrobatics.
The exact amount of dry and wet to make it good “packing” sand. Perfect for sand castles and building hot tubs.
- TIDE POOLS. Every morning as the tide goes out, the beach is left with rivers and lakes of shallow, warm water. The beach becomes a spa of jacuzzi tubs and mud baths. They are lovely to wallow in.
Or even fall asleep.
- CLEANLINESS! The beaches are clean. Clean as in “let your baby crawl through the tide pools and eat the sand” kind of clean. No cigarette butts. No broken glass. No trash. Respect for nature and others is evident. I appreciate it.
- SPACE. Even when the beach is full, there is a deep spans of sand; plenty of room between families.
Lots of room for kids to be kids.
- PEOPLE. The beach is full of families. Each group (including ours) appears to be made up of multiple generations under each umbrella.
Grandparents and grandchildren play ball.
Siblings are lulled into friendship by the sounds of the ocean.
And there are so many kids around that everyone finds a playmate.
- SERENITY. Even with all the excitement and activity, you can close your eyes and find moments of peace.
Just beware that when lost in the quiet, little legs might wander off.
To include your own.
(Photography humor created by the imaginations of Harry and Grace.)
Tune in tomorrow for the next addition to HHI Top Ten.